The New Town

The New Town was founded in 1348 by Bohemian King Charles IV as the fourth Prague town. Although in the New Town we see mostly architecture from the 19th and 20th centuries, there are still quite a few monuments from the earlier periods worth seeing.

We start the tour in Wenceslas Square, once the horse market, today the commercial center of Prague. The square is enclosed on the top by the National Museum, with the statue of St. Wenceslas bellow it. We continue to Charles square, the former cattle market. The town hall in the square was a site of the “First Prague Defenestration” in 1419. While walking around the square we see the Baroque Church of St. Ignatius and the former Jesuit college, the Faust house, emblazoned with legends and mysteries. Nearby, there is the Church of St. Jan of Nepomuk on the Rock, built in flamboyant Baroque style. On the way down to the river we notice the Church of St. Cyril and Methodius and the Gothic Church of St. Wenceslas. Not far from here the famous Dancing house, called sometimes Ginger and Fred stands, a daring construction from the 1990s. The houses along the river were erected mostly in the late 19th or early 20th century in Art-Nouveau or decorative neo-styles. We pass by the Church of St. Adalbert, where once the Czech composer Dvorak worked as an organist and soon reach the National Theater, built in the late 19th century. While walking along Narodni street we can admire two remarkable Art-Nouveau houses. We stop in the passageway of one of the houses, where on the 17th of November 1989 the so called Velvet Revolution began and finally we come to the Church of Our Lady of the Snows, the tallest of all Prague churches. Here, near Wenceslas Square our walk ends.

Duration: 3 hours

Group size (price per group)
1-2 3-6 7 and more
Guiding 1700 CZK 2000 CZK 2300 CZK

Select your currency:
Click here to convert to Czech KorunyClick here to convert to US dollarsClick here to convert to Euros
Terms and conditions