Prague surroundings

Krivoklat castle

The Krivoklat castle is one of the oldest and best-preserved Gothic castles in the country. Its history dates back to the 12th century when a Romanesque castle was built on the site. It was used as a favourite hunting lodge by Premyslid princes and kings and the seat of the Royal Master of Hounds.

Karlstejn castle

A gothic castle situated on a hill amid romantic countryside southwest of Prague. The castle was founded in 1348 by Bohemian King and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire Charles IV as a stronghold for safekeeping of the imperial regalia. Later, at the out break of the Hussite religious wars, the Czech crown jewels were brought here and kept at Karlstejn with several short breaks for almost 200 years.

Konopiste castle

The Konopiste castle was founded as a gothic fortress at the end of the 13th century. The original fortress underwent numerous reconstructions. The first was carried out in the 15th century by Jiri (George) of Sternberk and then in the 17th century by the Hodejovsky family. In the 18th century the noble Vrtba family had it rebuilt into their residence in Baroque style.

Terezin

Terezin was built at the end of the 18th century as a military fortress. Its aim was to stop the penetration of the Prussian armies into Bohemia. A garrison town until 1941, it was turned into a Jewish ghetto by the Nazi occupants at the end of 1941. Nearly 150 000 people of Jewish origin from the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia as well as from several European countries passed through the Terezin ghetto.

Kutna Hora

The historic center of the town of Kutna Hora has been listed on the UNESCO cultural and natural heritage list since 1996. Already in the 10th century silver was mined in the vicinity of the town. The real “silver fever” began in the 2nd half of the 13th century.

Lidice

Lidice, a small town about 20 kilometers west of Prague, became a symbol of the Nazi aggression during WWII. On the 27th of May 1942 the deputy Reichsprotektor Reinhardt Heydrich was fatally wounded by Czechoslovak parachutists in Prague. The Nazis were frantically looking for those who were involved in the assassination. By chance, one of the traces led them to this Bohemian village.

Syndicate content